Thursday, July 5, 2007

Fourth of July


As you may have noticed, I have been doing a lot of reading on the Digital Photography School blog lately. A recent post gave tips on taking pictures of fireworks, and since 'twas the season, I had to give it a try. So I got myself a beginner's tripod and set it up on our rainy rooftop yesterday evening to try out some shots of the July 4th fireworks. I had to get there early to stake out a good spot, but got some decent shots in spite of the rain and slightly slanted rooftop.


All of these were taken at ISO 200 with shutter speeds varying from 1/2 a second (the last shot) to 10 seconds (the shot above). Though I experimented with some lower apertures, I found f8 served me best.



5 comments:

......................................................... said...

not bad Elizabeth....I better watch out! One tip, try to manual focus (using your hands) on the buildings so that they are in focus. Good stuff!

Elizabeth said...

Thanks photojournal! I actually WAS using manual focus but definitely could have gotten sharper shots of the buildings. I suppose the rain didn't help!

A little about me... said...

I think they look great. Nice job.

......................................................... said...

Here is a nice shot done from NJ side:
http://news.yahoo.com/photo/070705/480/c98968ee2faa4b0990e74f3c7443ac16

Elizabeth said...

Oooooh excellent!