Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Part Three: Banana Bread and "Gourmet" Sabzi

This is the last in my series of weekend cooking posts. I will have to move onto something different for my next few posts as I won't be cooking for a bit. Now I'm on a mission to clear the fridge of leftovers!

Monday was a Baha'i Holy Day, and fortuitously it was a work holiday as well. In celebration of the Holy Day a friend hosted brunch at her home. I baked a quick banana bread in the morning to take over. I have made banana bread a few time before and invariably it comes out of the oven looking lovely, but concealed in the middle is a little spot of doughy not-quite-done-ness that I can't get rid of. Why? I always thought it was because the bananas congregated in the middle, but this time I pureed the bananas into a banana soup, rather than just mashing them with a fork, so I know for a fact they were evenly distributed! If I leave it in the oven longer, the whole rest of the loaf dries out. This loaf was no exception. See below...

The outer slices deceptively look just right. But cut in a little further and look:
Is it my pan? (A non-stick 9-inch loaf pan.) Is it my oven? (A non-descript ancient clunker.) Is it the recipe? If anyone has thoughts, or better recipes to share, I am open to suggestions.

I had much greater success on Monday afternoon, which I spent making a famous Persian stew called qormeh sabzi (قرمه ‌سبزی ). Personally, I like to refer to it as gourmet sabzi, or "gourmet greens." It's an herb stew made with meat, dark red kidney beans, and lime. The name comes from the selection of green herbs that go into it--mountains of parsley, cilantro, chives, scallions, and fenugreek (I had to use dried for that last one). I snapped a photo mid-process of the herbs ready to go into the pot.

Sadly I did not have the presence of mind to photograph the finished product. By the time it was finished cooking (after 3 hours of slow simmering), we were so eager to eat that pictures were the last thing on our minds.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

YUMMY! Wish I lived next door right about now. I think I will always think of it as gourmet sabzi now.

Not sure about the banana loaf stodge. What temp did you bake it at, for how long? We usually make banana muffins. They are fantastic. I used to think Shidan only came to my house because of them. I can share the recipe if you'd like.

montague said...

Mmhhhh, my money is on the recipe... I always use a really simple one from The Joy Of Cooking - I've even swapped out the required oil or butter for apple sauce (trying to be healthy you know!) and it came out fine... you can swing by and borrow the book if you want!

Ashkon said...

But i like the moist gooey part in the middle!

Elizabeth said...

Sorry Ashkon, the moist gooey-ness has got to go. Luckybeans please do share the muffin recipe! And Amy, just let me know when I can come by...

montague said...

update on the banana bread - one of my favorite food bloggers, smittenkitchen, uses this recipe and it looks so simple and amazing: http://smittenkitchen.com/2006/11/speckled-for-the-freckled/ (can you see that link? If not I can email it to you!)

Anonymous said...

Try turning the oven down 20 or 30 degrees (10-15c.). The middle is not done when the outside is.

Anonymous said...

Wow, your cooking looks great. I agree with anonymous 1, try turning the heat down.