Saturday, December 15, 2007

A Snack to Swoon Over

Everyone has got a snacking weak spot. Something that you absolutely cannot resist. If, by some great misfortune, it is not available in the United States, perhaps it's something you dream longingly about, scour the Internet for, and beg overseas travelers to bring back to you. That, friends, is what Wai Wai is to me. The tastiest, spiciest, crispiest, most delicious of all snacks. Add to that the nostalgia factor of it having been my most favourite snack from the time I was about 5 years old, and you have a veritable drug. The tragedy is that Wai Wai comes from Nepal and can only be found in select parts of Asia. That is why I am forced to bribe people to bring it back to New York for me. Believe me, the entrepreneur who has the foresight to introduce Wai Wai to the U.S. market will be raking in the millions one day. Perhaps that's the brilliant business idea I've been looking for?

Wai Wai is essentially ramen--packaged dried noodles. It can be made into soup, but (in my opinion) is best eaten dry with the accompanying spices mixed in. It's a product of Chaudhary Group, and a quick Google search reveals that it's one of the company's biggest sellers. From the CG website:

CG Foods (Nepal) Pvt. Ltd. is the introducer of the most favorite brown noodles WAI WAI. It holds the top brand position in Nepal for past many years.Wai Wai is a brand that not only rules the national market, also leads and holds a remarkable position in the international scenario.


Well, I hadn't realized it held "a remarkable position in the international scenario," but I think that sounds very promising. For this batch of Wai Wai (already almost gone) I have to thank my brother Grady, who brought it all the way from Nepal, and managed to resist eating it on the long trip. Thank you!

3 comments:

montague said...

yum - I am glad you're getting your fix!
Thank you so much for helping me out with the pic info... I am so grateful!

Ashkon said...

Thank you for sharing!

Kenton Dekalb said...

I am missing wai wai tooo!!!!:'(