Friday, February 22, 2008

Baklava

Typically when I see a recipe online that I like I will put it away somewhere for a day when I have proper time to try it out. Not so lastnight. When I saw Elise had posted a recipe for baklava on her blog (courtesy of guest blogger Garrett McCord), I knew my evening plans were set.

Ever since I conquered my fear of working with phyllo dough last year when my grandmother taught me to make apple pita, I have been thinking about making baklava. Baklava is a delightful dessert, full of depth and complexity, and absolutely perfect with a cup of tea. On our honeymoon in Turkey I think I must have eaten it every single day. Wonderful for the spirits, though perhaps not so much for the waistline.


As intimidating as baklava looks, it was remarkably easy to make. There were a few tense moments when separating the sheets of phyllo dough (you have to be speedy so it doesn't dry out), but all turned out well in the end, and any holes I may or may not have poked in the phyllo by mistake are now blended into a buttery, nutty, honey goodness and nobody is the wiser.


Since I followed the recipe exactly, I won't bother to rewrite it here. I used a combination of almonds and walnuts for filling (as that's what I had in the house).


Much as I would love to eat all this baklava by myself, I am trying to hold back. Anyone want to come over for tea and help me out?



5 comments:

montague said...

oh wow!! looks so beautiful! i am on my way over. no seriously. i am. actually on my way over. put the kettle on!!!

Anonymous said...

Looks good. Hows about sending some to me in LA?

montague said...

thanks for sharing!!! It was delicious!

limonana said...

amy did you eat ALL of them?? couldn't you save me just one piece?

Anonymous said...

its the perfect dessert in the desert. WAIT Amy had some??????