Friday, March 21, 2008

Seeking Paparazzi?

I find it to be such an odd, odd concept that people would seek out the experience of being followed by paparazzi. Granted, I am a little camera shy (getting in front of one, anyway) but it seems like we may have taken our obsession with celebrity culture a little too far. We can now hire paparazzi to follow us around, pester us, and make us feel just like Brad and Angelina.

I was so bemused by this article in TIME a couple of months ago, I tore out the page and stuffed it in my bag, thinking I would mention it to my husband or maybe share it with you all. I just rediscovered it there this morning, slightly crumpled and still just as incomprehensible to me. Apparently hiring paparazzi is a happening new trend for birthday parties and people out for a night on the town. According to the article, at Celeb 4 A Day for one low price of $1,499 you can hire "six paparazzi for two hours, a publicist to tell them to stop bothering you, a bodyguard to protect you from the crowd, limo service, a glossy MyStar magazine cover [with your picture on it] and a CD containing 10 photos."

You hire paparazzi to bother you and people to get them to stop bothering you? Is this stuff for real?

10 comments:

Christine said...

that is just crazy! i can't even imagine hiring paparazzi. weird.

you have a wonderful blog, and your pictures are absolutely amazing. they take my breath away.

Running on empty

Ashkon said...

I have a few friends who would enjoy this experience.

A little about me... said...

Well, this isn't related to the paparazzi story but wanted to say thanks for getting me blogging again. I'm hoping to post again this weekend. And I've enjoyed catching up with what you're up to lately. I loved the tea pictures since I love tea. And I really liked the pine cone picture. All my pictures lately have been of Bunny. And I just found the multiple button on my camera so now I have lots of pictures of her times 3. :)

montague said...

that is insane! i love it. guess what YOU're getting for your birthday next year???

Anonymous said...

I had never heard of this before either! Reading the article made me terribly sad.
I'm sure a lot of charities could use that $1500.
a.

jessamyn said...

yikes! it sounds terribly frightening...

Anonymous said...

Hire me hire me....

limonana said...

i have to say i find that very amusing to think people need to buy confidence & a feeling of self importance by hiring paparazzi...insane!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is strange! The things people will spend their money on!!

Thanks for visiting my blog, especially since I then found your blog. You've got some great photos.

(and I'd rather have a new lens for my camera for my birthday, instead of the paparazzi ...)

Elizabeth said...

christine, amy, jessamyn, limonana, andrea, and kacey--I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this is madness!

ashkon - who are these crazy friends of yours?

openid - if I get any commenters wanting referrals, I will be sure to pass on your name!