Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Chocoholics, Take Note


I am one of those people who, when ordering dessert in a restaurant, invariably goes for the chocolate option. I am particularly partial to anything with words like "molten," "rich," or "flourless" in the title. You may therefore imagine my excitement when I came upon a recipe for Chipotle Flourless Chocolate Cake on Simply Recipes. The recipe was shared by guest-poster Garrett McCord of Vanilla Garlic. I have learned from prior experience that his dessert recipes are worth trying.

Chocoholics....RUN, don't walk, to try out this recipe. It truly is just about as easy as pulling a mix out of the box and popping it in the oven, only much much more delicious. Have a look at the recipe--there are only four main ingredients and a smattering of spice. That's it! I confess, I could not find chipotle chili powder (or the recommended substitution, ancho chili powder) so I used just 1/4 teaspoon of regular chili powder (I lessened the amount suggested in the recipe because I was worried that using the wrong chili powder might make my cake taste like tacos). It came out fine and the hint of chili flavor added just the right amount of depth.

I fought my inclination to eat the whole thing then and there and instead took the cake to a colleague's goodbye party, where it was unfortunately very well-received. All that was left by the end of the party was the little piece pictured above, which I took home to share with Ash. (Did I later regret sharing the last piece? Maybe just a little.)

Now I'm thinking, if it's this good with the wrong chili powder, what must it be like with the right one? Anybody have suggestions on where to get chipotle chili powder?

16 comments:

Ashkon said...

Share? My foot! Although i'm sure you had the best intentions when you left the party, I remember having only a tiny bite before the whole thing went "missing".

Very tasty indeed. Readers really need to see the full resolution photo (click on the one in the post) to see how appetizing this cake looks.

Anonymous said...

i've seen chipotle chili powder at wal-mart! try a health food store maybe?

that looks totally yummy and is right up our alley over here.

maybe i'll make it for father's day.

or tomorrow.

cinnamon gurl said...

I've gotten dried chipotle chilis from a Latin restaurant/shop, but not powder. Surely you're in the right place for some kind of a Mexican or Latin American specialty shop?

noosh. said...

the cake looks SO good!! i've gotten the chili at latino markets and regular grocery stores with a good international section... around you i would probably suggest one of the healthy stores like garden of eden or something although you would probably pay more ;)

Here, There, Elsewhere... and more said...

Thanks for sharing..!
(+ the photo of what's left of it..!)
I'm going to try this this weekend in London to share with my girlfriends at our "old girls reunion"..:)

Sabrina said...

Oh my...this looks like a little slice of heaven. I don't think I could be in the same room with this cake without eating half of it. Yes, making this cake and bringing it somewhere (immediately!) is a very good idea indeed.

niobe said...

Mmmmmm.... And I'm not even especially fond of chocolate.

Anonymous said...

to your first two sentences, i say "amen, sister"! of course with a start like that, i was riveted by the post and am definitely going to try the recipe. thanks for sharing it! i actually have a jar of the said powder that i bought recently to make homemade aztec hot chocolate (a la mariebelle--but the recipe i found online wasn't very good). if you send me your address via FB, i'll put some in a ziploc bag and send it off to you. funny--i bought the powder at our local grocery store. i don't think you'll have any problem finding it at whole foods. but i really don't have enough recipes to empty my big jar so let me send some to you!
love, tannaz
ps you should definitely get this book http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0811835162/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top i have dreams about the chocolate souffle cake (which i make whenever i want to impress--also very easy).

Robin said...

Oh my goodness I need to try this!
I have been experimenting with flourless chocolate things lately...and I LOVE spicy chocolate!
Yum...

Unknown said...

I am just like you...who wants an apple tartlet when they can have anything chocolate. The cake sounds delicious.

Anonymous said...

That looks really good! I bought my chipotle powder at penzeys.com. It's more "smoky" than regular chili powder. Thank you for your comment on my blog today :-)

montague said...

yummy! why do you always make this stuff while i am away?
or maybe it's better like that, there would be NONE left i were around!

limonana said...

oh my...i'm daydreaming about this now...looks divine :o)

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for the comments everyone, and the suggestions for where to find chipotle chili powder. I wish I could have you all over for some flourless chocolate cake the next time I make it! If anyone really does try out the recipe, let me know how it goes!

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

Sounds delish! I wish someone would make me some of that today. (Anyone? Anyone?) -Julia

bee said...

garrett's recipes are dangerously decadent. this looks fabulous.