Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Ruling Out a Career in Wedding Photography

On occasion I amuse myself in thinking what kind of photographer I might be if I quit my day job and focused on photography full time.

Wedding photography is particularly intriguing. After all you are capturing people in what are hopefully some of their happiest moments. But sometimes when I (the blissfully unencumbered wedding guest) see the photographer juggling three cameras and trying in vain to get all the happy, celebrating people organized into attractive and symmetrical arrangements, I wonder whether wedding photography is as lovely as it sounds, or as exhausting as it looks.

I think I would rather just sit back and enjoy the happy moments with the bride and groom and take it all in, as I did last weekend at the wedding of two dear friends. Though as you can see, I did take out the camera once or twice, just for a little practice. I couldn't help myself. The light was right, the children were adorable, and how often do you get to take pictures of your friends looking so fancy?
































































11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love looking at wedding photography (Jessica Claire, Becker, etc.), but I don't think I have the right temperament for it. I could probably handle being a second shooter, though - not quite so much stress!

Sweet pictures! :)

Krista Heiser said...

Congrats on some great captures. I love the one of the guys only...their expressions make that picture!

I've photographed two weddings as a favor. They're stressful, but lots of fun as long as the pictures turn out alright. I wish I had been digital back then so I could point you to some examples, but I was still using 35mm at that time and I'm way too lazy to scan any of them.

One funny thing...I was called the little general at the first one I did. Of course, since it was my sister's wedding, I didn't mind being extra-bossy in order to get the shots I (she) wanted.

cinnamon gurl said...

I love the shot of the four guys - brilliant!

I have no interest in becoming a wedding photographer myself - way too much pressure.

Angry Asian said...

sans pressure, snapping shots at weddings can be so fun. and personally, if the expectation is there to perform and if money is involved, i fail. keeping it fun and simple, the results are so priceless.

the pic of the two kids is so cute and the 4 guys, priceless, :)

Anonymous said...

Those are great. Love the one with the kids! I don't think I'd like the pressure of being a wedding photographer. It's not like you can do a retake if the photos don't turn out great...

montague said...

it was such a nice day! and what great photos you took!

orange flower: sketchbook said...

You captured some really great shots!

Unknown said...

The photos are great! I'm glad you had fun and...practice makes perfect. I think that I would be way too stressed to try wedding photography. After the party and the fun, what you have left are your photos so that you can have the memories of your heart in print. I love taking photos at weddings for fun but beyond that...I don't think it's for me.

limonana said...

beautiful!

Sabrina said...

Yours are the best kind of wedding photographs- so true to life and beautiful! I much prefer this style over the canned, flavorless line-ups.

Elizabeth said...

I absolutely agree with all of you who said it is too much pressure. I'll stick with "just for fun" wedding photography.