Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Bella Italia


I visited Italy for the first time a couple of months ago. I was only there a week, but somehow, two months later, I am still daydreaming about the rolling green hills, picturesque city streets and one very memorable plate of asparagus risotto.



The scenery was stunning. The Italians were warm and welcoming. I took to saying "grazie mille" like a fish to water. And the food was so. darn. good. So good that I have no photographs of it. It was all eaten too fast. So good that I began to wonder whether fresh mozzarella might have been the key to the Renaissance.


And the gelato. Pardon me while I swoon at the memory.

Quick, somebody remind me again why I live here and not there?


From ancient Roman civilization to the churches, frescos and fountains of the Renaissance, we all know that the richness of Italy's history is staggering.



So rich, in fact, that artifacts which would be priceless ancient treasures anywhere else in the world are left lying by the railroad tracks. In Italy they're just the extras.


But the most memorable aspects of the trip remain the little details. Geraniums in a window in Verona. A bulldog sunning himself on a balcony over a small piazza in Venice. A tiny white Fiat 500 sandwiched into a parking spot about the size of my coffee table.



An elderly gentleman boarding a tram in Rome with his briefcase and fedora. Giant wheels of cheese and mountains of salami pouring out of the stalls in the Florence central market. Ornate doorknobs, rain-slicked cobblestones, and lines of laundry hanging against a blue sky.

21 comments:

Sabrina said...

Oh my what's not to love! I especially love the lush window gardens and the ancient looking architecture. And the thought of that delicious food is making my stomach roar.

Lucky you to enjoy all that loveliness and yumminess!

Carrie @carrieloves said...

Wow, those pictures are amazing... and the first one is so cute.

Elizabeth said...

Sabrina - Window garden is the perfect way to describe it!

Carrie - That first one is my favorite!

Unknown said...

love love love love...
I was there in march and fell in love. these are such gorgeous photos. so happy you went. In fact, you're inspiring me bc I have about a zillion photos of the Fontana di Trevi and have yet to post on! :)

Camille said...

Ah, gorgeous photos! For whatever reason, with all that lovely scenery, I just love the last photo:) I guess it just reminds me of my Nonna. (All 4 of my grandparents came over from Sicily) Nonna had a clothesline and I loved to watch her reel it in.

I can see, though, from the other photos how it is you are still daydreaming!

Chilli said...

I love these photos..and I really love the first one with the dog..you have the most wonderful eye for detail...each photo is interesting. What a wonderful trip this must have been! Glad you shared it with us.

Jill said...

wow. Your pictures are so stunning. I wanted to post about my recent trip to Spain (which was no Italy, but fabulous none the less) and you're recap has inspired me.

I'll be back to read more!

Elizabeth said...

Chessa - Please do share your photos of the Fontana de Trevi. Can't wait to see them!

Camille - What a special memory. :)

Chilli - The first shot is my favorite too. Enough to melt the heart of any dog lover.

Grey Cottage Studio - Please do share your Spain photos with us!

limonana said...

okay...so i have one thing to say about this post...YES I KNOW! :o) beautiful photos! i will blog soon i promise!

molly said...

gads, i loved italy too...it's been over 15 years since i've been there, but i've never forgotten each and every bit of it. grazie mille for writing about it!

Jen said...

I can only dream of visiting there one day...I will though and I can't wait.

Elizabeth said...

Limonana - So happy to see you posted today!

Molly - I have a feeling I'll still be missing it 15 years from now!

Jen - You will visit and you will love it, I already know.

dee said...

Your pictures are beautiful. Thank you for taking me back to one of my favorite places in the world:)

f2images said...

After seeing these stunning shots, I can see why you're still daydreaming about it. Beautiful. Italy looks so architecturally rich, just a constant feast for the eyes as well as stomach!

Emiko :)

IRONLION said...

Very beautiful photos of Italy Elizabeth! The shot of the bulldog sunning is my favorite. Really great composition and lighting- the bulldog really cute too.

-Robert

bee said...

what a treat!!! thank you. you have such great perspective.

montague said...

*smug smile* i told you so!

Elizabeth said...

Lil Bee - Thank you! I keep revisiting it through my photos too...sigh.

F2images - Definitely a feast for both eyes and stomach. Well put, Emiko!

Ironlions - Love that bulldog!

Bee - Thank you!

Montague - You were so right. So tell me where to go next!

Di said...

It looks like you had a fabulous trip! You seem to have seen all the most perfect places - Venice, Rome, Florence...

Italy is one of my favourite places! I used to date an Italian and it was beautiful to see it through an Italian's eyes and stomach!

I haven't made it to Venice yet - really must go soon!

nadia said...

the first picture is priceless!

Elizabeth said...

Di - Seeing a place through the eyes of a local is the best way to do it!

Nadia - Isn't it fun? Thanks for visiting!