Thursday, August 20, 2009

Summer in the City: The High Line

One of the last things I ever expected to see winding through the rooftops of lower Manhattan--about level with the pigeons, power lines and escaped helium balloons--is a pathway bordered with prairie grasses and wildflowers, but New York City never ceases to amaze.

The High Line is an abandoned elevated train track that has been refurbished and landscaped and opened to city dwellers for strolling, watching the sun set over the Hudson River, and yes, even napping.

The old train tracks have been preserved and the landscaping makes it appear as if nature has begun to reassert herself, eclipsing the rusty leftovers of the modern world.

As you walk, the bustle of the city dims to a low hum. If you listen carefully, you can actually hear songbirds. And somehow, (though you know you must be dreaming this one) it feels like you might even be breathing fresh air.

A few more photos here.

9 comments:

Robin said...

Great shots! I really liked the High Line. It was so nice and cool for people who don't have access to offices or want to pay $25 for the Empire state building, to get a somewhat elevated view of the city.

montague said...

yes yes yes! i loved the high line, can't wait to go back (hopefully at sunset) for some more photo taking!

Chilli said...

Such beautiful photos...I love the vantage point of the one with the yellow flowers...divine!

Elizabeth said...

Robin - Good point! It is nice to see the city from a little higher up, and free is the best part!

Montague - Let me know when you go, I'm looking forward to another visit!

Chilli - I loved those happy yellow flowers too. Thank you!

dee said...

I plan on visiting the High Line this week when I'm in the city. It's been such a long time coming, hasn't it? Such great photos:)

Amy said...

Really great shots! When we went - the light was flat and I had trouble capturing the mood - you've done it perfectly! Glad you're making the most of your last NYC days.

Sabrina said...

Wow- that's super cool! I love the ideas out there for reclaiming old railways. I'm hoping for more rail to trails in my part of the world.

molly said...

so sad to have missed it...cannot wait to go next time!

Belinda @zomppa said...

I moved out before the High Line opened. I miss it so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!