Monday, November 26, 2007

Spice Market

So often I feel as if I don't get much accomplished in the evenings. Not tonight. I arrived home feeling inspired to tackle a task I've been thinking about for a while now--reorganization of the spices, oils, vinegars, sauces, and other sundry items in our cabinets.

The inspiration was the result of a trip to Patel Brothers, an Indian grocery in Jackson Heights, Queens, near where I happened to be working this afternoon. After spending yesterday afternoon making a list of "Spices I Must Buy" while browsing through The Soul of a New Cuisine: A Discovery of the Foods and Flavors of Africa (a much-loved cookbook by Marcus Samuelsson that I actually bought by mistake on Amazon.com last spring--darn that one-click ordering!), I couldn't pass up a trip to Patel Brothers when I was right in the neighborhood. I had to go elsewhere for the berbere, but they had just about everything else. Whole cloves, star anise, coriander seeds, crushed fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds, cinnamon sticks (For 1/4 the price of our local grocery! Hot apple cider anyone?), and much more. How could I help but be inspired to reorganize when I had such exciting acquisitions to accommodate?

Reorganizing the spices doesn't sound like much, but it took a fair bit of time and brought me an amazing peace of mind when all was arranged (and inventoried, of course, with a list of everything on each shelf taped to the inside of the cabinet door). Now I feel I can rightfully reward myself by relaxing on the couch for an hour and watching Law & Order.

6 comments:

Ashkon said...

Who inventories the contents of the spice cabinet, creates an electronic document to keep track of it, then tapes the list to the inside of the spice cabinet? A genius, that's who!

Anonymous said...

A genius, or maybe the Kwisatz Haderach! Long live the Spice!

montague said...

can I hire your services?

Elizabeth said...

Ash - Very sweet :)
Evan - On Arrakis you need desert power.
Amy - If only I could make a living organizing people's spices!

Anonymous said...

I keep my spices organised. Very organised. No documents, although I did add calligraphic labels once...

Anonymous said...

You should get Sahadi to Sponsor your site.