Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Montreal

I said I would be posting a few more photos from Montreal, and now I am finally getting around to it. Let me begin by apologizing for the fewness of pictures I have to share of the Old City and the outdoors in general. The shooting conditions were less than ideal. In other words, my fingers do not operate well at subzero temperatures. Nonetheless, in the moments before frostbite set in I did manage to capture a couple of winter scenes.



As we were tramping through the Old City trying not to think about the snow soaking our pant legs and getting into our boots, I found myself wishing I could be pulled along on a sled like the lucky little person above.

I have to accompany this second shot of the Hotel de Ville (or City Hall) with a thank you to my brother and husband, who waited patiently on the sidewalk (without gloves! or hats!) while I tried to get a crisp picture by balancing my camera on top of a precarious makeshift tripod consisting of my phone, my wallet, and my camera bag stacked in a tower on the hood of someone's car. It worked well enough in a pinch, though it took some maneuvering.

We really enjoyed Montreal, though our exploring was somewhat limited due to our wimpy-ness in the face of cold (and our lack of proper snow-going attire). We got to enjoy an unfamiliar and beautiful city with some old friends and their adorable daughter. We even got to attempt a little French conversation. ("Un pizza s'il vous plait?") What could be better? (Well, I guess the American dollar could have been a little stronger, but I won't even go there.)






Last shot--our final view of Old Montreal before we headed home:

4 comments:

Ashkon said...

Brrrrr!

montague said...

Montreal looks FREEZING!

limonana said...

so cold yet so pretty! i love that city...

Elizabeth said...

It WAS freezing (but beautiful). We'll have to go back in the summer sometime!