Thursday, May 8, 2008

A Cookie Extravaganza

It occurs to me that I have not posted much in the way of cooking experiments lately. Well, let me make up for it with a triple-whammy here.

5 hours
+ 3 cookie recipes
+ 1 wannabe baker
+ 1 Kitchen-aid mixer
+ 1 million chocolate chips
_____________________
= a cookie extravaganza


I realize, having been much-reminded lately (curse you, low fat yogurt commercials), that swimsuit season is upon us. But with a Cinco de Mayo baby shower in the works for a colleague, and me assigned to make cookies, I figured I ought to do the thing right.


I had very specific cookie requirements to work with: crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside, chocolate chips highly desirable, and if I had time, maybe offer a vegan option as well. A little web searching found me exactly what I was looking for.

Blue Chip Chocolate Chip Cookies from Deb at Smitten Kitchen. A basic all-American chocolate chip cookie made amazing through a heavy dose of chips and finely chopped walnuts mixed in.

Triple Chocolate Cookies (with espresso) from Bobby Flay, via The Food Network. My man Bobby did not lead me wrong. Chocolate cookies loaded with white and milk chocolate chips, with just a hint of coffee flavor.

Vegan Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies from Post Punk Kitchen. They were soft, chewy, and delicious (and no need to qualify that by saying "for a vegan cookie"). I added raisins--a good call.

Folks, swimsuits be damned, these cookies were worth it. 'Nuff said.

16 comments:

Ashkon said...

They were all tasty! Did Amy get to try some?

Gillian said...

Oh my gosh, these all look amazing! I'm sure I wouldn't be able to decide just by looking at them - I'd definitely have to sample one - or two - of each :-)

leila said...

the yum in that picture is over the legal limit.

xxxoo
leila

montague said...

i can testify to the yumminess of the espresso cookies!!! and nice new banner!

cinnamon gurl said...

Yeah, those look pretty great.

Sabrina said...

I'll have to try one (or two) of these recipes...We're such sloths here today. Eating an assortment of cookies would complete the mood, although motivating to bake them right now might require too much effort.

Elizabeth said...

Thanks guys. Next time I have a cookie extravaganza evening I will be sure to invite you all over so that I'm not finishing them myself!

Robin said...

Wow, the triple chocolate ones sound amazing!

Marcie said...

You can come bake for me anytime!
These look absolutely yummy!!!!

bee said...

oooohhh... that's some good stuff. i'll show this to j in the hope that he bakes some.

limonana said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmm. those look divine..who likes swimsuits anyway!?

Shelli said...

You found my weak spot!

Unknown said...

mmmm! these sound amazing. I'm going to have to try them.

Unknown said...

ps--love the new banner. I need to step it and get myself one of those.

Anonymous said...

my mouth started watering when i saw the pics. delish. and i have massive kitchen-aid mixer envy. i've always said i'd get one once we "settled down" which is probably a few years away...at least you're putting yours to good use!

Elizabeth said...

Thanks friends. Definitely do give them a try (triple chocolate especially), they were tasty and easy enough for a non-baker like myself. (Tannaz, the Kitchen-Aid is awesome for this kind of thing!)