Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Wonder of Wonders...

...miracle of miracles. I finally finished it. This little knitting project began with such good intentions. My good friend was pregnant and I thought, "wouldn't it be a happy surprise if I knitted her a baby blanket?" She was about 3 months along when I cast on.

Time passed. Seasons changed. Bianca was born. She smiled. She held her head up. She crawled. She grew a tooth or two. She tried solid foods. She said her first words. She started walking. And still, still I was knitting.

The blanket-in-progress traveled the world with me. It visited Houston, San Antonio, Chicago, Montreal, and Vancouver. It almost went to Morocco too, but was not allowed on the plane.

Last week I finally completed the blanket. Bianca is not quite off to university yet, but she is going on 15 months and is far too big for the little blanket I envisioned giving her as a newborn.

So the blanket has been blocked, pressed, and I'm hoping another baby will come along soon that I can give it to.

In the absence of a baby in the house, I had to borrow another little friend in order to give the blanket a test run.

I have already begun my next knitting project. I've given myself a 3 month deadline for this one. Wish me luck.

7 comments:

Ashkon said...

Congratulations! I can't believe it's finished. I had grown so used to seeing that green blanket next to me as I watched TV or read a book. Maybe I should adopt it as my own?

limonana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
limonana said...

what an lovely blankie! it looks pro... you must have worked soo hard on that beauty...

p.s. i had to delete my previous comment because sometimes i spell like a five year old. maybe i need a blankie...

montague said...

oh well done my dear!!!! It is absolutely beautiful and you worked so dutifully on it! Your new project is also lovely - looking forward to seeing you post about that!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'll take it!

Shido said...

you too are now knitting? what is wrong with the world today!? we got slave kids doing all of this for us!
ok that was mean... i am just kidding!

Unknown said...

It's a beautiful blanket!
Love,
Thelma