Thursday, September 18, 2008

Caramels and Care Packages

Whew. You know how life can become crazily busy sometimes, even for just a few days? And then all of a sudden you return to normalcy and are faced with a mountain of emails you have not yet had time to read, voicemails you have managed to ignore, laundry you haven't bothered to fold, and suitcases that won't be unpacked for a month? Maybe it's just me...

Finally things have died down a bit and I have a moment to pop in and share a wonderful recipe that I recently made excellent use of during the Pay it Forward giveaway.


These chewy gooey beauties are Pecan Maple Caramels, recipe courtesy of The Chocolate Gourmand. I came across the recipe months ago and have been thinking of them ever since. Finally this summer I convinced myself I needed a candy thermometer, and I had the last piece of the puzzle necessary to make my pecan maple dream a reality.

They were actually really, really good. Quite a shock for me, in light of previous candy-making disasters, including a batch of "fudge" some years ago that had to be broken with a hammer and chisel just to fit it into the trash bin.

The recipe is not difficult, but be prepared for a good 1/2 hour of constant stirring over the hot stove before the caramel reaches the right temperature. After leaving the caramel to set overnight I cut it into squares and wrapped them in wax paper for easy transportation to my Pay it Forward recipients--the lovely ladies behind Ultra Fine Flair, For the Love of Food, and Angry Asian Creations. Apparently they survived the mailing well, making for excellent holiday gift possibilities.

Try them out and let me know what you think! (And if you want to get in on the Pay it Forward fun, wander on over to For the Love of Food, she may just have a spot left for some lucky commenter.)

26 comments:

Unknown said...

I know EXACTLY what you mean. I came here today and was completely oblivious to the fact that I haven't read your blog since before Labor day weekend? How can that BE? I know I saw my updates on my google reader. Where have I been? And, all the while, my apartment is still a mess and I've got way too many photos to process.

These caramels look amazing.

I have my grandmother's recipe book. And, before she had it my great grandmother had it. I'm afraid to even look at it bc it's so delicate.

lovely post, dear...I won't stay away for so long ever again!
:)

Anonymous said...

Does it stick to your teeth? I don't like candy that sticks to your teeth.

montague said...

oh my oh my elizabeth these look outstanding! can you give me a box too please? pretty please?


or you can come over and after we bake red velvet cake - we can make these!

Wayfaring Wanderer said...

Those look o so yummie!

I'm in a mood similar to yours.....I have let some things go around the house.....It's too much work sometimes to keep up with!

Camille said...

The caramels look perfect and what a yummy treat! Pay it forward is fantastic! I'm glad bloggers are making time for it.

Teal Chic said...

Yuuuuuuum! These look delicious. I'm going to have to make some :)

roza said...

woe betide me for not commenting sooner on that post!

maybe toby (my doggie) will share his toothbrush if i ever get my hands on some of these.

Anonymous said...

Woah.. these look tasty!

Cannelle Et Vanille said...

oh what a great favor!

Jaimee McClellan said...

They look scrumptious!!!
Maybe I'll give it a try...once I get a Candy Thermometer :)

please sir said...

Oh wow these look amazing and delicious!

Jennifer said...

Yes, weird how life passes you by all of a sudden! But caramels! YUM!

Fifi Flowers said...

Je adore caramel! Why didn't I know about your pay it forward! YUM.. lucky recipient!
Love the Pay it Forward... I received lovely things and I had even MORE FUN send items... better to give than rceive feeling!

Teal Chic said...

Hi Elizabeth. Yes, I want to do a 3 column blog. I can't find the template. Do you have the hook up??? =)

Mrs.French said...

yum, yum and yum...those lucky gals...

Claire, said...

YOU are killing me!
I need to have those.
My address is 121 Count... just kidding ha he !
Enjoy!

Lu said...

those caramels look amazing. Glad you liked the interview.

Sabrina said...

Those caramels sound and look insanely good. If my candy thermometer was working, I would head directly to my kitchen to make a batch. I want some!

And I'm smiling at the image of you with a chisel and your "fudge."

limonana said...

oh my oh my!!!! lady, these look like a little piece of heaven!

Teal Chic said...

Thanks Elizabeth. I'm having issues :( I really appreciate you forwarding me the link. It won't work on my template since I don't have the classic version, but I will keep searching. Thanks again that was really sweet of you to help me out like that, and much appreciated!!!

Candi

Elizabeth said...

Chessa - Glad to see you back! Crazy how time gets away from us, isn't it?

Evan - They do stick, just a bit. I'll make you some next time you're here and you can give me your feedback!

Amy - Hope you're enjoying them!

Wayfaring Wanderer - "Let things go around the house." Yes, that is the perfect way to describe it. :)

Camille - I've had such fun with Pay it Forward! It's great to see where it is going...

Teal Chic - Sorry I couldn't be of more help with blogger! Good luck!

Roza - From the looks of it Toby isn't letting go of that toothbrush any time soon!

Lollychops - Mmm, they were!

Aran - Great for gifts, I've decided!

Jaimee - Yes, the candy thermometer is key, I've learned. But worth it!

Elizabeth said...

Please Sir - Thanks!

Jennifer - My new motto: "When life gets a little too crazy, make caramel."

Fifi Flowers - It has been such fun, taking that blogging connection to another level!

Mrs. French - I hope those gals enjoyed.

Claire - Try them out, the recipe is easy, I swear!

Lu - Thanks!

Sabrina - Hee hee, yes that fudge was a classic cooking disaster.

Limonana - Come visit my dear, and I will make you a mountain of them!

Unknown said...

I have to say I have partaken of these caramels of which you speak. They are absofabulutely scrumdiddliumcious. And I understand there is a pomegranate variation that is currently being patented. I must try.

noosh. said...

thank you so much for the wonderful treats!!! you picked great gifts for the pay it forward, and i was lucky to get yours! :)

Helene said...

Bravo! Homemade caramels give us the feeling of such an achievement! Gorgeous!!

Anonymous said...

My grandma used to make caramels like those every Christmas. Yours look sooo good!