Thursday, September 4, 2008

Summer's End

Is it just me, or does each summer seem to pass even faster than the summer before? June, July and August just flew by this year. Every year I make grand plans to take advantage of the many exciting activities in New York City during the summer, and every year I barely scratch the surface.

Summer is more or less at an end, and I wish I had made more of it. More long lunches, more time in the park, more sweet corn, more popsicles, and more pesto made from the basil secretly being grown on our fire escape. More of a summer tan might have been nice too.

Fortunately Labor Day Weekend went a long way towards making me feel I enjoyed summer to the fullest.

Saturday was a day outdoors, mostly spent bicycling around Brooklyn. A planned trip to Coney Island with friends for a little sunset photography was aborted when one bike needed emergency repair, so we consoled ourselves instead by going to Di Fara to try out some of the top-rated (and most difficult to get to) pizza in New York City.

What an experience. By all appearances, the pizza place has barely changed in the past 60 years since it's owner, Dom DeMarco, has been making pizzas there. You can see him in the photo below (on the left). Dom makes all the pizzas himself, and has been making them so long he has no qualms about reaching his bare hands into the million degree pizza oven to push around the pans and check the done-ness of the pizzas. One young family member assists Dom in taking orders and bringing out big buckets of fresh mozzarella.

I learned plenty about the history of the place by reading all the articles pasted on the wall, because after all we did have a two hour wait for our pie. I'm not kidding! Granted, Saturday night at 6 p.m. on Labor Day weekend was probably not the best time to go, but once we had invested an hour of waiting time, we were not about to turn back. The swarms of people milling around on the sidewalk and in the tiny waiting area kept telling us, "It's worth it!" The pizza was very, very delicious, but after a two hour wait my tastebuds were somewhat dulled by my ravenous hunger, so I'm not sure I can be objective. (For a far more eloquent review, check out The Amateur Gourmet blogging about his transcendent Di Fara experience.)

Sunday I had the day all to myself and I wandered around Brooklyn with my camera enjoying the sun, snapping pictures, and stopping in a few of my favorite little shops like Fact and Fancy and Blue Ribbon General Store to pick up pretty notecards. I ended the afternoon in Fort Greene Park reading a very satisfying book. Does it get any better?

Monday I spent one of the nicest afternoons possible in Gillian's lovely backyard, enjoying delicious food, excellent conversation, great music, and lots of new friends.

And, because no weekend is complete without a little something constructive, I took a few hours to finish up my Pay it Forward suprises (can't share what they were because not everyone has received them yet!). One got hand-delivered and the others went into the mail. (If you missed getting in on the Pay it Forward fun here, wander on over to Lollychops. She is hosting her own and may just have something left for one lucky commenter!)

And I finally, finally finished the scarf for my husband that I have been working on since March--just in time to welcome him home from a long trip. Only six months in the making--that might actually be a knitting project record for me! For my next craft project (already begun) I'm concentrating on something smaller!

Happy End of Summer everyone, and thank you for all your sweet comments on my last post. Stay tuned for the first post in Project Recipe Book this weekend!


37 comments:

please sir said...

I know - summer seems to go by so fast. Fall is always a nice welcome with the beautiful colors and warm woollies.

montague said...

my oh my, i can't believe it's September already!

Ashkon said...

Fall... now there's a season!

noosh. said...

elizabeth, that scarf looks amazing!!! congrats on getting it done-- i'm still working on one from a year ago :)

Bonbon Oiseau said...

sounds like a good weekend! so much stuff happened but..how did you finally like the pizza?

Gillian said...

It was so lovely to see you on Monday, and that scarf is beautiful! I plan to post a photo of my lovely gift (thanks again!) and will be posting my own pay-it-forward very soon...

Anonymous said...

Wow.. a 2 hour wait. That must be one heck of a pizza!

It sounds like you had a fantastic weekend. Thanks for the reference to my blog. I can hardly wait to see what you sent your pay it forward friends!

If you ever want to dive into making preserves let me know. I would be happy to write up a few pointers. I started making them with my grandma when I was a wee one. It's something I really enjoy - and even if you only make one batch - you will have 5 jars of the best tasting preserves anywhere! It will get you hooked, I promise!

Happy almost Friday!

Lolly

Angry Asian said...

i lament over the passing of summer, only because i hate the cold but still, it was not a good summer this year for me. your weekend sounded so fulfilling and the scarf is beautiful. at least you kept at it, that's dedication! :)

Anonymous said...

It sounds like a great weekend. That pizza looks so good. Great job on the scarf too!

Here, There, Elsewhere... and more said...

I find summers always end too quickly...
I love the scarf and that pizza certainly looks good - I hope it was worth the wait..:)

Claire, said...

It's not just you, sadly...

Elizabeth said...

Please Sir - Yes, I'm looking forward to the warm woollies!

Amy - Tell me about it.

Ash - I know, you can't wait.

BBG - Thanks! Keep at it, you'll finish it soon enough!

Bonbon Oiseau - The pizza was great, but is any pizza really worth a two hour wait?

Gillian - Monday was such fun! Glad you liked your surprise!

Lollychops - I am definitely going to take you up on your offer of preserving tips! I'll be in touch...

Angry Asian - I hate the cold too, but there is something nice about the changing of seasons. Here's to a good fall...

Angie - Thanks! It was a nice weekend.

Here, There - So so true, they fly by.

Claire - I'm glad it's not just me. Let's hope the winter passes equally fast and its summer again soon!

roza said...

i would pay good money for that scarf! (not to mention the pizza!)

what a lovely weekend :) inspires me to want to spend the next few days doing something blog-worthy.

Sabrina said...

Oh my! I'm thinking I should make the 4 hour plus drive so I can get one of those pizzas and witness the legend of a man behind it...what a story.

And congrats on finishing the scarf...it's gorgeous.

Lu said...

the summer did go by fast this year. i know it did for me because i was distracted by things that were not important. the whole year seems to have flown by.

alexandra said...

that pizza looks soooooo YUMMY!

and yes. this summer went by too fast...

Carolina Lange said...

It goes faster every year!
Amazing photos!

raining sheep said...

Oh! Such a lovely post, but it makes me a little sad as well. I am here on Vancouver Island on holidays and I can definitely see autumn is here..by the leaves, the ocean and the smell in the air. I think I need to start knitting a scarf too. Such lovely pictures Elizabeth and such a great post.

Anonymous said...

i feel like i was teleported to new york for a minute--love the pizza place...and the hibiscus shot with buildings in the background.

Fifi Flowers said...

I'll take a slice of pizza and a bouquet of flowers to go, please!

Anonymous said...

I completely agree, their is that list wi th things we seem to never havethe time for. The pizza i could smell it- was it worth it( i am afriad i already know the answers YES)

i love the photographs of the city!

Laura in Paris said...

Pizza! Flowers!
Oh Bliss...

Helene said...

Well, come take a trip down south where we seem to carry summer way past november and I can hop over your way as I am in severe need of fall colors and a real NY pizza!

Camille said...

I was clinging onto summer up until..umm, yesterday! I didn't want to let go.

I miss NY pizza (sigh). I love the photo of the flowers.

Elizabeth said...

Roza - If you are willing to wait the year it will take me to make it, I'll make you a scarf!

Sabrina - Let me know if you do make the drive, I'll join you for a slice!

Lu - So true, it's unbelievable how time passes when you're not paying attention.

Alexandra - It was! Sooo tasty.

Carolina - Thanks my dear!

Raining sheep - Ah, your comment makes me miss Vancouver Island. I love it there!

Fifi Flowers - Yes please! Any day!

Nadia - It was so worth it, not just for the pizza but the whole *experience* if you know what I mean!

A World in a Pan - It was bliss. Thanks for visiting!

Tartlette - I am up for some trading places, how about it?

Camille - Sigh, me too. I still haven't quite let go yet...

ThePeachTree said...

Wow, it looks like you had a fantastic weekend. I'm going to have to look into this Di fara. And I thought Grimaldi's was most coveted!

I'm so sorry the bike trip down to Coney fell through but I see one of the pictures of the new facade of St. Clair's in Cobble Hill? Very nice :)

Can't wait for the unleashing of Project Recipe Book!

Mrs.French said...

sounds like a lovely way to end the summer...I hope you find your fall to be equally delightful...Oh and I want a slice of that pizza...do you mind waiting in line for 2 hours for me? thanks! ;)

Leanne said...

Oh my that pizza place looks just awesome! There's something about authenticity and enduring old shops isn't there....especially when it comes to food.

Wayfaring Wanderer said...

Thank you for sharing your weekend.....it makes me want to wander about my little town a little more! I tend to spend most of my time amongst nature......

Liz Harrell said...

Wow, that sounds like a weekend from heaven! I always smile when I spy people wandering around with camera in hand... makes me feel a little less conspicious when I do it my myself!

Cannelle Et Vanille said...

what a wonderful time.. that photo of the flowers is superb... i am actually really looking forward to fall and all its glory. and the pizza... well, nothing tops a simple rustic pizza!

nathalie bearden said...

ohh my i can't believe it is almost ending! what lovely photos! and i bet the pizza is delicious!

thetinylittlegirl said...

we're in spring here!

limonana said...

noooooo summer don't go!!! stay a while??

montague said...

can you come back already? i miss you.

Fifi Flowers said...

I would sooooo love to come to NYC for Fall... but hopefully May... would be FUN to meet some NYC bloggers.
What is your other blog?

Unknown said...

Today I felt the fall weather for the very first time. I was comfortable all day in my long sleeve shirt/no jacket...then when I stepped outside at 7:30...brrrr...
What a great way to spend Labor Day weekend!
The scarf looks wonderful! I have to learn how to knit. My grandmother is coming from Argentina in a few months and I think she'll have to teach me...she's been wanting to forever.